Why we Don’t Need to Hustle Harder: Why I Hate the Hustle Mindset

I am absolutely sick of the hustle mindset.   So today, I’m talking to you about Why we Don’t Need to Hustle Harder: Why I Hate the Hustle Mindset.

It’s all of the entrepreneurs telling you that you need to work harder to get ahead, to try a new marketing strategy, “don’t fall behind!”, that taking a day off is sacrilege.

It’s the corporate zombies who work 80 hours a week and think that’s the way it should be for everyone.

You know what I’m talking about:

It’s the dedicated full time employee who also runs a side business that takes up every spare moment of her time, to the detriment of her personal life, because she thinks that’s what it takes to succeed.

And I’m here to say:

Stop the hustle.

Don’t hustle harder. Go lie down! Take a walk. Read a book. Go to bed early. Go out with your friends. Enjoy your life!

We only get one life.  And it’s not just for working or optimizing or achieving.  It’s also for fun, ice cream, puppies, hikes, laying on the beach, just hanging out, reading, watching movies.

Don’t think you can stop the hustle? Maybe science will help:

All those activities you do just for fun – that’s play. And play decreases your stress levels, fosters creativity, increases productivity, AND more importantly – it’s just so darn enjoyable!

Taking a vacation increases your productivity, makes you happier and healthier, and honestly, who doesn’t love a vacation? And bonus: Taking a vacation INCREASES your chances of receiving a bonus by 30%? Book your trip now to make more money later!

Getting enough sleep not only makes you more productive, not getting enough has a HUGE impact on your health, including an increased risk for obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and decreased immunity to illnesses and disease.

These are just a few examples, but in our “more is more” culture, I think it’s important that we remember it’s not about the hustle in the end. It’s about the heart:  how much love did we give and receive during our time here.

You can achieve your dreams WITHOUT the hustle. It requires focus, essentialism (cut out the junk!), a mindset shift, and so much fun you can barely stand it.

I hope this motivates you to take a little break, go outside, and maybe visit that ice cream shop for a cone today. I hope to see you there!

Hate the hustle and want to read other posts similar to this one? Check out –Why you Feel Overwhelmed at work and Five Tips to Feel Better!

1. Melissa Chapman

July 15th, 2019 at 5:52 pm

You touched a nerve here. I am always hustling 7 days a week and hwen you have a blog you generally need to. I will try and cut back but then if my numbers drop I will have to take that chance.

2. Stacie

July 15th, 2019 at 7:18 pm

I totally get that! It can feel like you really need to get out there every single day. But I think the little bit of rest is worth it!

3. Amber Myers

July 15th, 2019 at 6:10 pm

I hear you, I’m all about working hard, but we need breaks now and again. I know if I don’t get downtime to read daily, I lose my mind.

4. Tasheena

July 15th, 2019 at 6:49 pm

I really enjoyed reading this post. I truly believe that taking a vacation really does increase productivity.

5. Terri Steffes

July 15th, 2019 at 8:14 pm

I am needing this post so bad. I push myself so hard, that some days I fall asleep at the computer. That’s a sign I need to pay attention to.

6. robin rue

July 15th, 2019 at 9:57 pm

We had a vacation 2 weeks ago and are getting ready to head out on another one next week! Bring on the vacations.

7. Rena

July 15th, 2019 at 9:59 pm

That was one of the main reasons that I became a freelancer because I wanted to be able to pick my own hours. My kids are grown and I’m much older but making time for our family was the best things we ever did as parents.

8. Denay DeGuzman

July 16th, 2019 at 12:52 am

Achieving a good work/life balance is so important. Sometimes we all get caught up in the cycle of work, work, work. We need to set aside more time to enjoy life to the fullest!

9. Marysa

July 16th, 2019 at 3:05 am

I think there can always be no end to work, so it is true that we have to set limits in order to have some balance in our lives!

10. Katie Clark

July 16th, 2019 at 4:20 am

Such an interesting perspective – I feel like all I hear is how you have to hustle! It’s exhausting though, and I have been wanting to take a step back more lately. Thanks for the motivation!

11. Jeni Hawkins

July 16th, 2019 at 12:55 pm

It’s important to take a break and have some fun. Work is always there and will never stop.

12. Ruth I

July 16th, 2019 at 12:58 pm

There were times that I pushed myself to hard that I had to stop all the hustle. I realized that I need to relax take some time off.

13. Melissa Dixon

July 16th, 2019 at 12:59 pm

It can be hard to find a balance. I am totally guilty of overdoing it and constantly hustling but luckily we have found ways to make work fun and work from home so we can constantly do both. It is nice to take a bike ride or walk a puppy once in a while too.

14. Nancy L

July 16th, 2019 at 1:52 pm

I couldn’t agree more! I am so much more productive when I get a good night’s sleep, wake up early, and take some “me time” throughout the day. Even if it is just taking a quiet break for lunch. It makes a world of difference.

15. Lynndee

July 16th, 2019 at 5:39 pm

Like the saying goes…all work and no play makes jack a dull boy. I make sure to have my ME time where I just relax and enjoy my time.

16. Rachel

July 16th, 2019 at 7:51 pm

I totally agree! Who does it actually help to run ourselves into the ground? There is no prize for being buzy.

17. Kathy

July 16th, 2019 at 7:54 pm

I actually really enjoyed this post. I agree with you on this. It is hard enough to try to find the balance in working and doing other stuff. I personally love taking breaks here and there to help.

18. Maggie

July 16th, 2019 at 10:11 pm

totally agree…. that work harder hustle mindset in like an indoctrination! Love your blog!

19. rika

July 17th, 2019 at 3:09 am

This is a great motivation and reminder! I love taking breaks to refresh my mind and to get new ideas.

20. Heather

July 22nd, 2019 at 4:13 am

Great post. I’m not a huge fan of the term side hustle anyways…loved reading this.

21. Stacie

July 23rd, 2019 at 12:56 am

I actually don’t love it either, but I also want the people who are searching for ideas to know that there can be less hustle, and more living. Thanks Heather!